Friday, December 15, 2006

Project Planning - Your Insights

“Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel” - Socrates


What is "Local Education News" about? It is the attempt of creating a meaningful dialogue to discuss education issues in and around Pittsburgh.

So far I want to create an informal discussion involving anyone interested. You do not need to be an educator, student or parent. We were once students and perhaps we are all still students. Your opinions, insights and stories are needed to create a full spectrum of understanding about the massive edifice of education.

My idea is complex and will take more than this one entry to explain. But first let me borrow from the field of psychology to help start this continuous conversation. I hear it is helpful to talk about yourself to stimulate the conversation.

My name is Robert Park. I’m 30-something years old (I’m a bit apprehensive about the public nature of this project.) I have a fantastic daughter that truly is a joy and the inspiration of this project. My undergraduate degree was philosophy and I’m current working on my master’s degree in journalism. I live in the South Side of Pittsburgh.

I’d like to tell about my motivation for this project but I’ve got to go to work delivering food. I’d rather get paid for doing this work, perhaps some day. As for now I just wanted to get started with something, just anything will do.

Please leave comments.

3 comments:

George Bezerra said...

You are interested on education only in Pittsburgh, or education in general? Anyway, I like the subject, and I would be very interested in discussing ideas. Altough I usually have some non-standard reasoning about things. I hope this is not a problem ;-)

little scribbler said...

Hi! Quite an undertaking, Rob and one I'd like to support. Can I add your blog to the bloglinks on mine?
lk

Pittsburgher in New Zealand said...

Thanks for the comments. It is really appreciated.

George- The focus would be Pittsburgh. However, education in general would be necessary to point out problems or successes.
And any input,especially non-standard, would be great.

Laurie - Please and thanks for considering posting my blog as a link.

More links and resources to be posted soon. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Rob